You have a kitchen full of appliances but are you working them to their full potential? We’ve comprised a list of simple kitchen hacks that you will show a few surprising ways to get the most out of your kitchen appliances.
1. Plan for the future: mixing up a batch for your bread maker? While you have the dry ingredients out, make a few batches and store them in zip lock bags. Then the next time you want fresh bread, you just have to add the wet ingredients and throw the dough straight in the machine.
2. Mix pizza dough: bread makers are very versatile and useful for more than just baking. For instance, you can mix the most amazing pizza dough in your bread maker that will give your homemade pizzas a very professional boost!
3. No more tears: chop the ends off your onions and throw them in the microwave for 30 seconds to deactivate those teary enzymes.
4. Sayonara stale bread: don’t throw out stale bread. Wrap it in damp paper towel, microwave for 10 seconds and it will come out soft and fresh.
5. Dry your herbs: fresh herbs are so expensive that it’s crazy to throw the leftovers away. Place a cups worth of fresh herbs on a paper towel and microwave for 2 – 4 minutes and then crumple in a paper towel. Voila! Dried herbs.
6. Easily peel garlic: peeling off garlic skin is a fiddly and enjoying job. Make it easier by popping the glove in the microwave for 15 seconds, it loosens the skin and lets you peel it right off.
7. One pot puree: the ultimate beauty of a stick blender is that it goes wherever you need it to! So you can puree hot soups right in the pot or blend in your mixing bowl.
8. Whip it good: whipped cream usually takes forever, right? Trade your whisk or stand mixer for the stick blender and you will have a big, fluffy pile of whipped cream quick as a flash.
9. Fix lumpy sauce: if you have messed up your sauce or gravy and can’t get rid of the lumps, run the stick blender through it quickly for a silky smooth texture.
10. Perfect mashed potato: use your stick blender to make the creamiest, softest mashed potato ever in less than a minute!
11. Pre-prep your smoothies: Use small freezer bags to prepare your smoothie ingredients for the week ahead and freeze. Then in the morning, all you have to do is pour, blend and go.
12. Simple pulp solution: cut down on cleaning time by popping a freezer bag over the pulp filter, and then all you have to do is lift it out without worrying about cleaning!
13. Supercharge your compost: Don’t throw all that pulp from your juicing away, instead add it to your compost or straight into plant soil to give your garden a nutrient boost.
14. Health-ify soft drinks: ditch unhealthy chemical and sugar-laden soft drinks and instead mix a little splash of fresh juice into sparkling water for bubbly treat the whole family will love.
15. Ice ice baby: Keep an ice tray hand and pour any left overs into it for freezing. The frozen cubes make a great addition to mineral water, blended smoothies or even a cheeky glass of wine.