- 800 g strawberries hulled and sliced in half
- 1 vanilla bean split and seeds scraped
- 40 g soft brown sugar
- 1 orange zest & juice
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- Custard or ice cream to serve
- 1/2 cup milk + more for brushing
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 280 g plain four
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100 g unsalted butter cubed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Raw sugar to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to Convection 170°C.
- In a large bowl add the strawberries, vanilla bean and seeds, brown sugar, zest and juice of the orange and cornflour. Toss to combine and transfer to a 30cm oven proof pie dish. Flatten to create an even surface. Place the pie dish on the enamel tray and set aside.
- Make the scone dough in the bread maker. Add the blade to the bread pan, followed by the scone ingredients, starting with liquids first, then dry ingredients. Close the lid and select program 29 (SD-YR2550) or program 28 (SD-R2530), Manual Cake Kneading, dial in 5 minutes and press Start.
- When the bread maker beeps, press Stop and remove the bread pan from the bread maker. Tip dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin until around 3cm thick and cut out heart shapes with a heart shaped cookie cutter. Gather any excess dough, roll out and repeat.
- Place the pie dish on the enamel tray into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top strawberry mixture with the heart shaped scones. Brush scones lightly with milk and return to oven for a further 20 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown.
- When finished cooking, remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes before serving with custard or ice cream.