Health nuts across the globe have been on the smoothie bandwagon for a long time now, ever searching for the healthiest smoothie ingredients. Kale and Açai have gone from being almost unheard of to being considered smoothie staples, and the quest for finding the next smoothie superfood add-ins has evolved exponentially. You could be forgiven for feeling a little left behind… But fear not! Here are 5 of the hottest smoothie superfoods around that you can mentally pocket away and bring out when chatting to your yogi friends and want to seem like an expert!
- Kefir: Similar to yogurt, kefir contains cultured milk products, but kefir also contains beneficial yeasts as well as bacteria, providing more nutritional value compared to yogurt.
- Wheat germ: Loaded with vitamin E and folic acid. Just 2 tablespoons boasts 20% of your recommended daily intake of these two key nutrients.
- Turmeric: This “super spice” is a natural antioxidant and a potent anti-inflammatory agent.
- Camu Powder: This Peruvian powder is packed with more vitamin C than any orange you will ever find, making it perfect to ward off colds and flus.
- Matcha: This powder is made from green tea leaves, is rich in antioxidants, and is a great no-calorie pick-me-up.