- 125 g unsalted butter
- 100 g brown sugar
- 80 g golden syrup
- 1 egg separated
- 350 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 150 g icing sugar sifted
- mini m&ms to decorate
- Melt the butter, brown sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. Leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, and spices and stir to combine.
- Add the egg yolk to the cooled butter mixture and stir thoroughly to combine. Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture and stir. When you can no longer stir, use your hands to combine the dough together. Form into disc and wrap in clingfilm. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat microwave to convection 160C, line the grill tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, divide in half and put half back into the fridge. Roll the dough between two sheets of non-stick baking paper util 5 mm thick. Using your cookie cutter, cut out your gingerbread people directly onto the paper. Carefully transfer the cookies onto the prepared tray, leaving a 2cm gap between each. Save the cuttings to make more people.
- Bake on the lower shelf position for 12 minutes, or until lightly golden. Leave to cool on the grill tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Continue to roll, cut, and bake dough until all the dough has been used.
- Whilst the gingerbread is cooling make the royal icing. Place the egg while into a clean, dry bowl. Use an electric beater to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add icing sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Place icing into a piping bag and snip off a small bit of the nozzle end.
- Once the gingerbread are completely cool, decorate with royal icing and mini m&ms.