Microwave Bombe Alaska Christmas Recipe
Microwave Bombe Alaska – a very impressive Christmas dessert. Looking for a alternative to pudding for your Christmas feast? Aside from being insanely delicious, Bombe Alaska is one of those desserts that never fails to impress. The technical feat of baking a hard meringue case around sponge cake and ice cream can’t help but elicit “oohs” and “ahhs” from your guests. We’ve created this quick and easy version for our Steam Combi Microwave, so now you can have all the fun of a Bombe Alaska without all of the effort.
Write a review
- 2 small eggs
- 50 g caster sugar
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 55 g self-raising flour
- 250 g strawberries, sliced
- 500 g vanilla ice cream
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
- Preheat the convection oven to 180 C.
- Grease and line a 20 cm sandwich tins with baking paper
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and add the caster sugar. Use an electric hand beater at high speed and beat until the mixture turns pale and is very light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour into to the beaten egg, a little at a time, and fold together gently until all the flour is incorporated into the egg mix.
- Pour into the baking tin and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly before releasing it from the tin to cool completely on a baking wire.
- Once cool, arrange the strawberries over the top of the sponge and pile the ice-cream over the top into a dome shape.
- Place in the freezer to keep the ice-cream frozen
- Increase the temperature of the convection oven to 220C
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and form peaks
- Add the sugar and beat until the egg stands stiff
- Remove the cake from the freezer and transfer it to a baking tray
- Cover the ice-cream with meringue
- Place it in the convection oven to cook for 3 - 4 minutes only.
- Made using the Panasonic NN-CS894SQPQ convection microwave oven: http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/household/microwave-ovens/convection-grill-microwaves/nn-cs894s.html
The Ideas Kitchen https://www.theideaskitchen.com.au/