For the Dough
- 1.25 tsp Yeast
- 600 g Strong white bread flour
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 350 ml Water
- 2 Raisins For the eyes
- 2 Almonds For the teeth
- 1 Egg Lightly beaten to glaze
- Place all of the dough ingredients into the bread pan in the order listed above. Select the basic dough program 2 hours 20 mins.
- Tip the dough out on to a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into two equal halves.
- Take one of the halves and cut ¼ off and shape into a pear shape for the head. Flatten the remaining portion into an oval shape to make the body. Place on a greased baking sheet and place the head above the body.
- Make narrow cuts, about 3/4 inch deep on each side of the head for the whiskers.
- Cut the second half into 4 equal portions. For the ears: shape 2 of the portions into 16 inch ropes, fold ropes in half, Arrange ears with open end touching the head.
- For the back paws: cut a third portion of dough in half, shape each into a 3 ½ inch oval for back paws. Cut two 1 inch slits on top edge for toes. Position on each side of the body.
- For the front paws: Divide the fourth portion of dough into three pieces. Shape two pieces into two ½ inch balls and place on each side of the body.
- Shape the remaining piece into two 1 inch balls for cheeks, and 1 ½ inch ball for the nose and place on the face. Add the raisins for the eyes and almonds for the teeth.
- Cover with lightly oiled cling film and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Brush dough with egg. Bake at 180°C for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Place bread on a serving tray. Cut a 3 ½ inch circle in centre of body. Hollow out bread, leaving a ½ inch shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Place a 1-cup shallow bowl in the hole and fill with dip. Serve with fresh raw vegetables.