Easy Christmas Cake
Old-fashioned Christmas cakes are such a lovely tradition, whether given as a gift or served as part of your festive feast. This fruity cake does have a reputation for being difficult to bake but our recipe lets you cheat your way to perfection using just your microwave and bread maker.
Write a review
- 125g butter
- 200g mixed dried fruit
- 50g glace cherries
- 50g almonds
- 50g light brown soft sugar
- 1tbsp of treacle
- 1 orange, zest and 3tbsps of juice
- 120ml sherry or brandy
- 2 medium sized eggs, beaten
- 200g plain flour
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- Place butter, dried fruit, cherries, almonds, sugar, treacle, zest and juice of an orange and sherry/brandy in a bowl, heat in microwave oven on HIGH for 8 minutes, stirring twice.
- Leave fruit mixture to cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir in eggs, flour and mixed spice, mix well.
- Remove the kneading blade from the bread pan and double line the bottom and sides with baking paper.
- Place the mixture into the bread pan, being careful to ensure that the mixture is inside the baking paper.
- Select BAKE ONLY mode and enter 55 minutes on the timer.
- After baking, test with a skewer to check the cake is cooked*.
- Take the bread pan out of the bread maker using oven gloves.
- Leave to stand for 5 - 10 minutes before removing from the bread pan and allowing the cake to cool.
- To store, peel off the baking parchment then wrap well in cling film.
- *Note: If the cake is just slightly sticky, it will cook through during the stand period. Should the cake require extra time, simply select the bake mode again and enter a further 3 - 5 minutes on the timer.
- Made using a Panasonic NN-ST655W inverter microwave oven and a Panasonic SD-2501 bread maker.
The Ideas Kitchen https://www.theideaskitchen.com.au/