- 2 cups plain flour
- 180 grams chilled butter cubed
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks save whites for meringue
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 250 grams caster sugar
- 3 lemons juice and zest
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 125 grams butter
- 40 ml water
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 egg whites
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Add juice, zest and cornflour and whisk until combined.
- Drop squares of butter on top.
- Select the Microwave setting on your Panasonic Combination Microwave and select 1000 W Power Level, confirm your selection.
- Microwave in 1-2 minute bursts, whisking in between until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot.
- Microwave in 30 second bursts until mixture is thickened.
- Pour into a clean bowl while hot and cover top with cling wrap, directly on the surface.
- Store in the fridge to cool and thicken before use.
- Sift the flour into a bowl.
- Add butter, flour and sugar to your food processor and blitz until they form a crumb.
- Add egg yolks and lemon juice and mix until a dough forms.
- Tip onto a floured bench and knead until a smooth dough is formed.
- Roll pastry between two sheets of baking paper until it is about 5mm thick and then cut out a circle large enough to cover your pie dish or tart pan, with an overhang on the edges.
- Wrap in cling wrap and rest in the fridge for 30 min.
- Select the Oven setting on your Panasonic Combination Microwave and set the temperature to 190°, confirm your selection and begin to preheat.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and let it come to room temperature for 10 min.
- Grease your pie dish or tart pan and roll the pastry circle into it.
- Line with a sheet of baking paper and add baking weights or rice.
- Bake for 15-20 min and then very carefully remove the weights and the baking paper.
- Continue baking for a further 10-15 min until the crust is baked and lightly golden.
- To make the meringue, place the water, cream of tartar and half the sugar in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 4 minutes.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of your stand mixer and beat until stiff peaks form.
- With the motor running, add the remaining sugar, one spoonful at a time, whisking for 30 seconds before adding more.
- Very slowly add the hot sugar syrup in a steady stream and whisk for a further 4-5 min until the meringue is glossy and cool.
- Spoon the thickened lemon curd into the cooled pie crust, smooth out surface and top with thick swirls of meringue.
- Place the Grill Tray on the lower level and sit the finished pie on top.
- Select the Grill setting on your Panasonic Combination Microwave and select Grill 1 for your Power Level and confirm your selection.
- Set your cooking time at 10 min and press the Dial to start.
- Check the progress of the meringue browning regularly and either remove or extend the cooking time as needed.
- Let cool before serving.